Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A TJ FAQ

So many of you already know that TJ was finally diagnosed with Mono! His initial mono tests came back negative, and docs began to tell us we needed to move on the test for options that were a bit more serious. They called in an oncologist and a hematologist and they both ruled out certain things. The day he left the hospital, they took 6 vials of blood for more testing. A week later, he had an appt with a surgeon who informed him that his lasted blood tests DID show mono! Not that mono is a great thing to have, but it sure beats Lymphoma or Leukemia!! Since this diagnosis, I have been asked sooo many questions.... so I thought I would do a FAQ blog and answer some of those questions!!!! 


1. Who did TJ kiss? 
TJ did not kiss anyone. No, I do not think TJ cheated on me. 1, he would be totally stupid to do that because I AM AWESOME! 2, calling it the "kissing disease" is kinda a myth! From WebMD - Mono lives and grows in the nose and throat. Any fluid that comes from these parts of the body, including saliva, tears, or mucus, can be infected with the virus. The virus is spread when people come in contact with infected fluids.


2. Do I have Mono now? 
I tried really hard to not share anything with TJ while his diagnosis was unknown. And IF I did contract the virus, I am not showing any symptoms yet. I am just hoping all is ok.


3. What about Elleah?
We took precautions with her as well and most sources we have read said that children can come in contact with the virus and still not contract because of their immunity at such a young age. 


4. So what about the spleen rupture?
Mono causes your spleen to enlarge. TJ knew he was sick, but did not know it was something that would cause his spleen to enlarge. After your spleen enlarges, it takes only the slightest impact in that area to cause it to bleed. We are thinking he was playing with Elleah like he does and she might have jumped on him in just the right spot! 


5. What now? 
He will be off and on tired for up to 3 months and his spleen needs 6 months to fully recover and scar over. So he cannot do any sports or tiring activities. And he is on light duty a work.


PS- I am going to see NKOTBSB!!!!!!!!! yaaahhooooo 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Katie!!!!! That just made my day! My mom told me about TJ and I have been praying for y'all. I'm SO HAPPY to hear that it's just mono!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carrie!! That is so sweet!!! We were so happy too!!!! That week that I didn't know AnYtHiNg was the WORST WEEK OF MY LIFE!!!! Thanks for your prayers!!!

    ReplyDelete