Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Daytona 500 - epic really!

If your have ever said "I will never go to a NASCAR race, I hate NASCAR." Then you are seriously limiting your life's experiences and boy do I feel sorry for you. NASCAR I guess is known for being a "redneck" sport so there are some people out there that never even give it a chance. Most of you know that I do not limit my love for sports though. I pretty much love all sports (basketball can get kinda sleepy for me but I still like it). So a few years back, when TJ and I had our first opportunity to go to the Daytona 500, we went!! And I found a love that I never thought I would. I mean, I have always liked watching races on TV, but that was the extent of it. Actually going to a race changed that.... it is LOVE. NASCAR races live make football and baseball games just "ho-hum" events. YEP, I just said that.
So now that we live back on this side of the country, and Elleah is a little older, all the stars alined for us to go to another race. We got the family together and decided to go Daytona the RIGHT way. We rented campers and camped all weekend out by the speedway. We had a BLAST. Lots of cornhole tournaments, lots of food, lots of family fun.... it was GREAT!
Until Sunday. Race Day. It decides it is going to rain. A lot. We still tried making our way to the track but by the time we got there and got UNDERNEATH the grandstands for shelter from the rain, the race was CANCELLED! ugh!!! Rescheduled for Monday at noon. Well, like most normal people, my parents, brother, and rest of the family had to get home Monday... some people have to work, right? It was still raining at 10am on Monday so TJ and I headed home too. We had to turn our rental in and for heaven's sake we needed a SHOWER! LOL. On our way home though, it was announced that the race was pushed to 7pm. We only live 2 hours from Daytona. So after turning in the rental, we showered and like a couple of silly heads, we schlepped Elleah BACK down south for the race. I was SO sick that my family had bought tickets and were not able to go. But we live just too close to not give it a shot. We got there just in time to hear, "Gentlemen, start your engines." Such an awesome place....






Elleah was originally NOT going to go. She was going to stay with mom while the rest of us went. But with mom no longer there and all these extra tickets we had, Elleah went. That turned out to be great though, because she LOVED it. And she loved loved loved the...... Blimps! lol


















The race was delayed 2hrs for a crazy fire!! We thought about leaving, but, naaaahhh! Elleah conveniently took a nap during the delay. She woke up ready for more racing!! So it worked out good. It was a LATE night though. We got in the car to come home at about 2:30am. Elleah was such a good girl. I am so thankful that she is so awesome and makes it easy for us to bring her along for things like this. She was asleep before we could hit the road. TJ and I both WANTED to be asleep too! So we pulled over at a rest stop to catch a few Zzzzz!! We were not the only ones....lol.... This rest stop looked like a camp grounds! It was crazy! Cars were parked EVERYWHERE!!!! We pulled up in the grass along side a few other cars, folded the seats down in the suv, and passed out from exhaustion!!! Elleah woke us up about 7 saying she wanted to go home. She fell back asleep on the way home. When we got home, we all three curled up in our bed and slept till after 11. Then we went back to sleep around 1 and woke up at 5. We. All. Were. Tired. But it was worth it. It is not a normal day, it definitely threw us off routine, but we had a balllllll.
My advice.... Get your booties to a NASCAR race, just do it how you need to do it, and enjoy the heck out of yourselves!!! It gives me an adrenaline rush watching those cars speed by! I think Elleah felt it too!! Amazing!!

YouTube Video



*****The circumstances of this particular Daytona 500 were unbelievable. I know most people do not care about the details and since I am not ESPN, I will let you looks those details up if you are interested. But if you know all the little details, I think you too would agree it was epic really!!

No comments:

Post a Comment