Tuesday, November 15, 2011

I Love My Crock Pot! Chicken

I do not fancy myself a chef by any means. But I DO love to cook. I used to be an awful cook. These days, however, I am getting pretty darn good (if I do say so myself). And while I do love to cook, I do not like to cook the same thing again and again, and I do not like to cook too extravagantly. After all, I am a mother to a two year old and usually want to crash by the time dinner time even rolls around. I am a crock pot kinda girl. I love that dang thing. I can prepare my meals while Elleah is at morning school and serve it up easily at dinner time. The only down fall... you have to plan ahead to use the crockpot. I stink at planning ahead. But last night, I took out some chicken and grabbed my crockpot cookbook and started planning. 


I am one of those people that has a TON of food in their pantry and still think I have "nothing to cook." I made a promise to myself that in the coming weeks, I would try to cook something using EVERYTHING I have in my pantry. Not all at once, of course. With that being said, I needed to search for a recipe that involved not only chicken, but potatoes too! Because I had a whole 5lb bag of potatoes that has to go. 


So anyway, here I am looking for a recipe and I come across one that involved chicken, potatoes, and velveeta cheese...?!?!. I love velveeta cheese, but it sounded a little too heavy for me. I like my velveeta cheese on a chip, with a little rotel. :-) I stopped looking though, because I came up with recipe in my head based on this recipe I found in my book. 


It turned out AWESOME and I thought to myself "Self..... you may need to blog about this stuff." 


Here is the recipe: (in a "dinner for two" style format)


2 boneless, skinless chicken breast (I usually get 3 in a Tyson pack, so I just saved it for another day)
4-5 red potatoes
handful of frozen chopped bell pepper (any or all colors)(I keep these on hand bc I use them like its my job) 
handful of frozen chopped onion (I also keep these on hand)
1 can cream of Chicken Soup (any cream soup would work)
1 "can" of Milk (use the empty soup can)
salt 
pepper
Garlic Pepper Grinder (or just Garlic salt)


I sliced the potatoes into coins about 1/4 in thick. Then, I layered them in the bottom of the crockpot and sprinkled them with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, I mixed the can of soup with the can of milk and whisked it till it was combined. Add a little salt and pepper to the mixture. I poured it over the potatoes and then added the handfuls of peppers and onions. I laid the chicken breast on top and used my Garlic Pepper Grinder to season the chicken (you could totally just use pepper and some garlic salt). I popped the top on it and let it go. On high for an hour and then on low for another 4 hours. I just made sure the potatoes were done and then declared it ready! 


So simple and so easy. You could even add a little butter down with the potatoes if you wanted to. I am not exactly a recipe book writer, so it is probably hard to follow my directions. LOL. There is no exact anything though. Add as much peppers, onion, and salt that you want. I have learned that potatoes NEED salt. RIGHT? RIGHT! :-) These are things I ALWAYS have in my pantry so I am excited that I combined them to make something yummy. I have this meal as "I have nothing in this house to eat" back up!! haha. 


Yummy

No comments:

Post a Comment